Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Renovation Realities

Brandon and I are totally addicted to so many shows about home improvement and home renovation. We watch "Spice up my Kitchen", "Devine Design", "Renovation Realities" and "Designed to Sell" all the time. We both love to do our own home projects and love to get ideas from these shows. We also love to make fun of some of the ridiculous things that happen on these shows. Especially "Renovation Realities".

If you've not seen "Renovation Realities" before, it's usually about a couple that decides to do a home reno on their own, on a small budget and, invariabley, in an unrealistic period of time. I'm not sure what the criteria is for finding the people that they decide to follow through these projects, but we're absolutely convinced that one of the requirements has to be "idiot". These people never cease to amaze us with their laziness, lack of knowledge as to how to complete their project, and their lack of common sense. Brandon and I watched one episode of "RR" in which a young man was renovating his kitchen with the help of his mother. He had originally planned to refinish the cabinets in his kitchen, only to find that the cabinets could not be refinished. Upon buying new cabinets, he proceeded to install the uppers WITHOUT using anchors to hold them on the wall. Needless to say, one of the upper cabinets wound up falling off the wall, crashing onto the floor and being ruined. I mean, c'mon... really?

Brandon and I are die-hard when it comes to finishing home projects. And, while we've never tackled something as overwhelming as overhauling a kitchen, we rarely go to bed until the project has reached a reasonable quitting stage... usually sometime around 2 or 3 am. These people, however, start late, take long lunches, long dinners, and end early. Keep in mind that the time-line for finishing these projects is usually 4 or 5 days. Who can reno a kitchen in that amount of time with only two people working.. or, more accuratley, barely working? It's baffling...

On the flip side, I do understand the need to entertain an audience. I just wish I could laugh at them rather than being frustrated with their stupidity. I guess I'm still watching, though, so they must be doing something right!

2 comments:

  1. You just wait until Baby Boy enters the picture! Your home reno projects will slow down a little. I do LOVE all of your reno projects I've seen fo far, though! As for kitchens, we felt pretty successful demo-ing ours to studs and built back to functional in 6 months by ourselves with a 10 month old. But, as you know, it stopped there! We still have the finishing work to do... oh well, we'll get it done before we move someday. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mel - babies do tend to slow down house projects! I used to watch all of those shows all the time too, until I completely burned myself out on them. It does crack me up to see some of the ridiculous room make-overs they do though, especially when they have themes like "Under the Sea" or "In the Jungle" or something crazy like that. Those poor home-owners.

    ReplyDelete